Among the artists featured in the exhibition is the late Greer Lankton, famous for depicting the transgender experience through autobiographical dolls and environments. Her immersive installation, "It's all about ME, Not You," is part of the Mattress Factory's permanent collection. "New Installations: 40th Year" will also feature never-before-shown pieces from the Lankton archive, a comprehensive collection of the artist's work bequeathed to the Mattress Factory by her parents after she died.
In addition to Lankton, six returning artists are featured in the exhibition, which runs through July 29, 2018.
- Yoán Capote, a native of Havana, uses sculpture, painting, installation, photography and video to explore themes of migration and government.
- David Ellis' work interprets music and sound. His paintings are often recorded in a form of digital time-lapse animation he calls "motion painting."
- Vanessa German is a poet, actress, photographer, sculptor, designer and educator who creates arresting visual performance pieces for audiences in the U.S. and around the world.
- David Pohl is an award-winning illustrator and multimedia artist based in Pittsburgh. He works with layers of graphic elements to explore themes of acceptance and social justice.
- Allan Wexler, a self-described "artist in an architect's body," was an early member of the late 1960s "non-architects" or "paper architects," who question the perceived divide between art and the design disciplines.
Generous support for "New Installations: 40th Year" is provided by the PNC Foundation, Allegheny Regional Asset District, an Anonymous Donor, The Benter Foundation, The Heinz Endowments, Roy A. Hunt Foundation, National Endowment for the Arts, Opportunity Fund, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, The Pittsburgh Foundation, W.P. Snyder III Charitable Fund, and The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts. With special thanks to the Mattress Factory Board of Directors and museum members.
Forty years ago, artists took over an old mattress factory on Pittsburgh's North Side, founding what would become an iconic museum. This fall the Mattress Factory will celebrate the ensuing four decades with an exhibition showcasing new pieces by artists who have contributed to its pioneering history. "New Installations: 40th Year" features the work of Yoán Capote, David Ellis, Vanessa German, Greer Lankton, David Pohl, Meg Webster, and Allan Wexler.